Department of Internal Medicine
Pulmonary, Critical Care and
Occupational Medicine Faculty
Stephen E. McGowan, M.D.
Dr. McGowan's research interests focus on connective tissue biochemistry in the lung. His current studies examine the regulation of elastin gene expression during lung development, alveolar septal formation, and airway reactivity in vitamin A deficiency. Dr. McGowan is Director of Clinical Services at the Iowa City Veterans Medical Center.
Honors, Awards, and Organizations
- Diplomate, American Board of Internal Medicine and Board of Pulmonary Diseases
- American Society for Cell Biology
- American Thoracic Society
- Central Society for Clinical Research
- NIH, National Research Service Award
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Snyder, J.M., Jenkins-Moore, M., Jackson, S.K. Goss, K.L., Dai H-H., Bangsund, P.J. Giguere, V. and McGowan, S.E. Alveolarization in Retinoic Acid Receptor-? Deficient Mice. Pediatr. Res. 57:384-91, 2005.
- McGowan, S.E., Takle, E.J., and Holmes, A.H. Vitamin A deficiency alters the pulmonary parenchymal elastic modulus and elastic fiber concentration in rats. Respir. Res. 6:77-91, 2005.
- Zhou, J., McCoy, D. McGowan, S.E., Salome, R. and Mallampalli,R.M. Adenoviral Gene Transfer of a Mutant Surfactant Enzyme Ameliorates Pseudomonas-Induced Lung Injury. Gene Therapy, in press, 2006.
- McGowan, S.E. Retinoids and pulmonary alveolar regeneration: rationale and therapeutic challenges. Drug Discovery Today: Disease Mechanisms 3: 77-84, 2006.
- McGowan, S.E., Holmes, A.J. Vitamin A deficiency alters pulmonary parenchymal collagen and tissue mechanics. Respir. Physiol. Neurobiol. 156: 312-319, 2007.
- McGowan, S.E. Vitamin A deficiency increases airway resistance following C-fiber stimulation. Respir. Physiol. Neurobiol. 157: 281-289, 2007.