Department of Internal Medicine
Pulmonary, Critical Care and
Occupational Medicine Faculty
Kevin Doerschug, M.D., M.S.
Dr. Doerschug's research interests include assessment and resuscitation of microvascular dysfunction in clinical sepsis. His clinical interests include sepsis and undifferentiated shock states. His teaching relates to a critical care curriculum with special interest in teaching difficult airway management. He is the Medical Director of the Medical Intensive Care Unit.
Honors, Awards, and Organizations
- Fellow, American College of Chest Physicians
- Member, American Thoracic Society
- Key Faculty: ACCP Simulation Training in Airway Management
- Ad hoc reviewer
- American Journal of Managed Care
- Critical Care Medicine
- Doerschug, K.C., Powers, L.S., Monick, M.M., O’Neill, M.E., Thorne, P.S., and Hunninghake, G.W.: Antibiotics delay but do not prevent acute lung injury in an animal model of sepsis. Critical Care Medicine. 32:489-94, 2004.
- Ashare, A., Powers, L.S., Butler, N.S., Doerschug, K.C.**, Monick, M.M. and Hunninghake, G.W. The anti-inflammatory response is associated with mortality and severity of infection with sepsis. Am J Physiol (Cell Physiol.) 288:L633-L640, 2005.
- Bowman, A., Greiner, J., Doerschug, K.,** Little, S., Bombei, C., Comried, L. Implementation of an evidence-based feeding protocol and aspiration risk reduction algorithm. Crit Care Nurs Q 28:324-333, 2005.
- Doerschug, K., Delsing, A., Schmidt, G., Haynes, W. Impairments in microvascular reactivity are related to organ failure in human sepsis. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 293:1065-1071, 2007.
- Ashare, A., Nymon, A., Doerschug, K.**, Morrison, J., Monick, M., Hunninghake, G. Insulin like growth factor-1 improves survival in sepsis via enhanced hepatic bacterial clearance. Am J Respir Crit Care Med, 178:149-157, 2008.
- Hartz, M.B., Doshi, and Doerschug, K.C. Pulmonary Medicine. In: The Family Practice Handbook, 5th edition. Graber, MA (Editor), Mosby, 2006
- Doerschug, K.C., and Hunninghake, G.W. Mechanisms of Disease: Acute Lung Injury. In: Taussig & Landau: Pediatric Respiratory Medicine, 2nd edition. Le Souef, P (section editor), Elsevier, 2008, pgs 65-71