Department of Internal Medicine
Pulmonary, Critical Care and
Occupational Medicine Faculty
Karl Thomas, M.D.
Executive Vice Chair for the Department of Internal Medicine
Vice Chair for Clinical Programs
Chief, Primary and Specialty Service Lines, VAMC
Dr. Thomas is a member of the clinical faculty with expertise in lung cancer, interventional bronchoscopy, intensive care, as well as medical education. He is the current Director of the Lung Cancer Clinic.
Honors, Awards and Organizations
- American College of Chest Physicians
- American Thoracic Society
- Iowa Thoracic Society
- Iowa Medical Society
- Society of Critical Care Medicine
- Committee on Marketing and Communications, American Thoracic Society
- Graduate and Resident Education Committee, Society of Critical Care Medicine
- Iowa Medical Society, Committee on Legislation
- UI Collegiate Curriculum Committee
- Foundations of Clinical Practice committee
- Medical Education Committee
- Executive Committee
- Thomas, K.W. Transmitting and absorbing new information on the early identification of sepsis patients: The partial thromboplastin time biphasic waveform. Critical Care Medicine, 2006; 34(6): 1829-31.
- Bergus, G., Thomas, K., Kaufman, L., Woodhead, J., Scoring an Improvement in Medical Students’ Clinical Notes. Medical Education, 2006; 40(5): 479.
- Thomas, K. Pulmonary Vascular Malformations and Tumors. In: Pulmonary Vascular Disease, eds. Mandel, J. Taichman, D; Elsevier, Philadelphia, 2006.
- Thomas, K.W. Adoption of Sepsis Bundles in the Emergency Room and ICU: A Model for Quality Improvement. Critical Care Medicine, 2007, 35(4):1210-2.
- Thomas, K. Blood Products in the ICU. In: American College of Chest Physicians, Critical Care Board Review 2007, Co-directors: Kress, J; Schmidt, G. American College of Chest Physicians, Northbrook Il, 2007.
- Thomas, K. Bleeding Disorders, Coagulation Problems, and Massive Transfusion. In: American College of Chest Physicians, Critical Care Board Review 2007, Co-directors: Kress, J; Schmidt, G. American College of Chest Physicians, Northbrook Il, 2007.