Department of Internal Medicine
Pulmonary, Critical Care and
Occupational Medicine Faculty
Joel N. Kline, M.D.
Professor of Medicine and Occupational and Environmental Health
Director, Clinical Research Unit, ICTS
Dr. Kline's research focuses on modulation of airway inflammation in asthma. Using murine models, he is investigating how DNA containing CpG motifs and other innate immune stimuli can prevent and reverse eosinophilic airway inflammation, bronchial hyperresponsiveness, and airway remodeling. As the Associate Director of the General Clinical Research Center as well as the Environmental Health Science Research Center, he also leads clinical research investigations in airway disease. Dr. Kline is the Director of the UI Adult Asthma Center, whose purpose is to integrate clinical care, clinical research, and basic research in asthma and airway inflammation.
Honors, Awards, and Organizations
- Fellow, American College of Chest Physicians
- Edward Livingston Trudeau Scholars Award, American Lung Association (1997)
- Fellowship, Pharmacia Allergy Research Foundation (1998)
- Outstanding Investigator Award, Central Society for Clinical Research (2000)
- Shah AS, Ben-Shahar Y, Moninger TO, Kline JN, Welsh MJ. Motile Cilia of Human Airway Epithelia Are Chemosensory. Science. 2009 Jul 23. [Epub ahead of print]
- Hussain, I., Jain VV, O'Shaughnessy P, Businga TR, Kline J. Effect of Nitrogen Dioxide Exposure on Allergic Asthma in a Murine Model. Chest 126:198-204, 2004.
- Jain VV, Businga TR, Kitagaki K, Hussain I, George C, O'Shaughnessy P.T., Kline JN. Mucosal Administration of CpG Oligodeoxynucleotides Reverses a Murine Model of Chronic Asthma. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol, 285: L1137-1146, 2003.
- Jain VV, Kitagaki K, Businga TR, Hussain I, George C., O'Shaughnessy PT, Kline JN. CpG-Oligodeoxynucleotides Inhibit Airway Remodeling in a Murine Model of Chronic Asthma. J All Clin Immunol, 110(6):867-72: 2002.
- Kitagaki K, Jain VV, Businga TR, Kline JN. Immunomodulatory effects of CpG oligodeoxynucleotides on established Th2 responses. Clin Diag Lab Immunol, 9:1260-1269, 2002.
- Kline JN, Kitagaki K, Businga TR, Jain VV. Treatment of established asthma in a murine model using CpG oligodeoxynucleotides. Am J Physiol Lung Cel Mol Physiol, 283:L170-L179, 2002.
Links of Interest