Department of Internal Medicine
Pulmonary, Critical Care and
Occupational Medicine Faculty
Herbert A. Berger, M.D.
Director, Respiratory Specialty Care Unit
Dr. Berger's clinical and teaching interests are in general pulmonary, critical care disease, and sleep medicine. Dr. Berger is in the Clinician Educator Track and director of the Respiratory Specialty Care Unit. His clinical research interests include developing protocols to evaluate and treat patients with complex sleep disordered breathing. He is involved in a Sleep Academic Award Program from the NHLBI to develop and enhance the education of sleep medicine throughout The University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine.
Honors, Awards, and Organizations
- Above and Beyond the Call of Duty Recognition
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine, Member
- American College of Chest Physicians, Fellow
- American College of Physicians - American Society of Internal Medicine, Fellow
- American Federation for Medical Research, Regular Member
- American Thoracic Society, Full Member
- Central Society for Clinical Research, Member
- Parker B. Francis Fellowship Award
- Berger, HA, Somers, VK, and Phillips, B.G.Z: Sleep Disordered Breathing and Hypertension. Current Opinion in Pulmonary Medicine. 7:386-390, 2001
- Baldursson, O, Berger, HA, and Welsh, MJ: Contribution of R Domain Phosphoserines to the Function of CFTR Studied in Fischer Rat Thyroid Epithella. Am. J. Physiol. (Lung Cell Mol. Physiol.) 279(5):L835-L841, 2000.
- Berger, H.A., Travis, S.M., and Welsh, M.J.: Fluoride Stimulates Cystic Fibrosis Transmembrane Conductance Regulator Cl - Channel Activity. Am. J. Physiol. (Lung Cell. Mol. Physiol) 18:L305-L312, 1998.