Department of Internal Medicine
Pulmonary, Critical Care and
Occupational Medicine Faculty
Alejandro Comellas, M.D.
Dr. Comellas's clinical interests include the care of patients with asthma and the critically ill. His research interest is in the area of lung injury, focusing on the regulation of the alveolar epithelial tight junctions.
Honors, Awards, and Organizations
- American Board of Internal Medicine, Board of Pulmonary Diseases, and Board of Critical Care Medicine
- American College of Chest Physicians
- American Thoracic Society
- Cecil Lehman Mayer Award, ACCP (1998)
- Comellas AP, Dada LA, Lecuona E, Pesce LM, Chandel NS, Quesada N, Budinger GR, Strous GJ, Ciechanover A, Sznajder JI. Hypoxia-Mediated Degradation of Na,K-ATPase via Mitochondrial Reactive Oxygen Species and the Ubiquitin-Conjugating System. Circ Res. 2006 May 26;98(10):1314-22. Epub 2006 Apr 13.
- Azzam ZS, Adir Y, Crespo A, Comellas A, Lecuona E, Dada LA, Krivoy N, Rutschman DH, Sznajder JI, Ridge KM. Norepinephrine Increases Alveolar Fluid Reabsorption and Na,K-ATPase Activity. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2004 Jul 15.
- Sam S, Corbridge TC, Mokhlesi B, Comellas AP, Molitch ME. Cortisol levels and mortality in severe sepsis. Clinical Endocrinology. 2004 Jan; 60:29-35.