Department of Internal Medicine
Rebecca L. Hegeman, M.D.
Interim Director, Division of Nephrology
Dr. Hegeman serves as Associate Professor in the Division of Nephrology and Vice Chair for Clinical Programs in the Department of Internal Medicine. She served as Medical Director of the University of Iowa / Veterans Affairs Medical Center Dialysis Treatment Centers from 2004 to 2008 and continues to actively care for dialysis patients. She also served as one of the Community Faculty Directors for Medical Students from 2001 to 2007.
Dr. Hegeman attended and completed her residency and fellowship at the University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics. She received an American Kidney Fund Clinical Scientist in Nephrology Fellowship and has participated in several clinical trials pertaining to glomerulonephritis and the use of a hemodialysis machine in the home.
Honors, Awards, and Organizations
- CCOM Collegiate Teaching Award, 2006
- American College of Physicians
- National Kidney Foundation
- American Society of Nephrology
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- John & Oral Sebeling Award, 1986
- Recipient of American Kidney Fund Clinical Scientist in Nephrology Fellowship