Department of Internal Medicine
Infectious Diseases Faculty
Jeffery L. Meier, M.D.
Dr. Meier's research interests are in human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and cytomegalovirus (CMV). He is Director of the University of Iowa HIV Clinical Trials Program and is involved in translational and clinical research of other infectious diseases. His molecular virology laboratory studies human CMV, with special focus on the molecular mechanisms by which CMV infects, persists, and causes disease in its human host. CMV is the leading infectious cause of birth defects and commonly causes debilitating or life-threatening disease in persons with impaired immunity, e.g., resulting from AIDS or stem cell or solid organ transplantation. The research aims to delineate pivotal regulatory mechanisms involved in controlling CMV replication, latency, and reactivation, by application of state-of-the-art molecular and cellular biology approaches in different types of human cells and tissues. The results are used to inform translational research in humans that strives to understand the biology of the virus in vivo and to develop novel strategies for eliminating CMV activity and persistence.
Links of Interest
Honors, Awards, and Organizations
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- American College of Physicians
- American Medical Association
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Infectious Diseases Society of America
- American Society of Microbiology
- McClintock Award in Physiology
- Sebelin Award in Internal Medicine
- Burroughs Wellcome Young Investigator Award in Virology
- Meier, J.L. and Stinksi, M.F.:Effects of a modulator deletion on transcription of the major immediate-early genes in infected undifferentiated and differentiated cells. J.Virol. 71:1246-1255,1997.
- Meier, J.L. and Pruessner, J.A.: The human cytomegalovirus major immediate-early distal enhancer region is required for efficient viral replication and immediate- early gene expression. J. Virol .74:1602- 1613,2000.
- Meier, J.L.: Reactivation of the human cytomegalovirus major immediate-early regulatory region and viral replication in embryonal NTera2 cells: role of trichostatin A, retinoic acid, and deletion of the 21-bp repeats and modulator. J.Virol.2000 (In press).