Department of Internal Medicine
Infectious Diseases Faculty
Dr. Helms has a long-standing interest in immunization, respiratory tract infections and the epidemiology, clinical manifestations, and immunology of Legionnaires' disease. He is the director of the Iowa site of the Midwest AIDS Training and Education Center, a federally funded project to provide programs for AIDS training and education to midwest health professionals.
- Associate Dean, The University of Iowa College of Medicine, 1986-90
- Director, Iowa Site, Midwest AIDS Training and Education Center (MATEC)
- Former Chief of Staff, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
- Medical Director, Office of Clinical Quality, Safety and Performance Improvement
Honors, Awards, and Organizations
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- Diplomate, American Board of Internal Medicine and Board of Infectious Diseases
- American College of Physicians, Fellow
- Laureate Award, American College of Physicians, Iowa Chapter, 1997
- Central Society for Clinical Research
- Infectious Diseases Society of America, Fellow
- Robert Wood Johnson Health Policy Fellow
- Sigma Xi
- National Vaccine Advisory Committee, United States Department of Health and Human Services
- Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices, Centers for Disease Control
- Helms, C.M., Guerra, F.A., Klein, J.O., Schaffner, W., Arvin, A.M., and Peter, G.: Strengthening the Nation’s Influenza Vaccination System. A National Vaccine Advisory Committee Assessment. Am. J. Prev. Med. 29: 221-226, 2005.
- Helms, C.M.: Book Review: "Plagues and Poxes: The Impact of Human History of Epidemic Disease." JAMA 293:374, 2005.
- NVAC-ACIP Joint Working Group and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Ensuring Preparedness for Potential Poliomyelitis Outbreaks. Recommendations for the US Poliovirus Vaccine Stockpile From the National Vaccine Advisory Committee (NVAC) and the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). Arch. Pediatr. Adolesc. Med. 158:1106-1112, 2004.
- Helms, C.M.: First Do No Harm: Get Your Flu Shot!. J. Iowa Med. Soc., 94/5:7, 2004.
- Helms, C.M.: Thoughts on a Scary Visit from an Old Acquaintance. J. Iowa Med. Soc., 94: 7, 2004.
Links of Interest