Department of Internal Medicine
Hematology, Oncology and Blood & Marrow Transplantation Faculty
Mohammed M. Milhem, M.B., B.S.
Director of Medical Oncology Services, Division of Hematology, Oncology and Blood & Marrow Transplantation
Deputy Director for Clinical Cancer Services, Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center
I recently joined the University of Iowa to help set up 2 main programs in Sarcoma and Melanoma. I have a big interest in these 2 tumors in all sites of the body and have started collaborating with many groups of physicians with regards to research, education and treatment of these rare and difficult tumors. A sarcoma tumor board now meets regularly twice a month as part of a multidisciplinary care system giving expert advice for patients with sarcomas. The University of Iowa has recently joined the Sarcoma Alliance for research Collaboration allowing us to participate in more national and global trials. I am also in the process of helping create a unified program for melanoma. A melanoma clinic has recently been formed in conjunction with dermatology for better treatment of patients with melanoma.
My major interest is in epigenetics and treatment (chemotherapy and radiation) modulation using drugs that change the methylation or acetylation status in malignant cells. I am interested in maintenance of the metastatic process with the less toxic drugs like small molecules or monoclonal antibodies.
Honors, Awards, and Organizations
- Jordan Medical Association
- American Society of Hematology
- American Society of Oncology
- Connective Tissue Oncology Society
- Mahmud, N., Milhem, M., Araki, H., Hoffman, R. Alteration of Hematopoietic Stem Cell Fates by Chromatin Modifying Agents. "Frontiers in Stem Cell Transplantation," Esmail Zanjani, Anthony Ho and Ronald Hoffman, eds. WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim, 2006.
- M. Jarrar, M. Sarhan, M. Milhem, F. Abdel-Rahman, R. Rihani, S. Sharma, I. Naem. Non-irradiation containing conditioning regimen for children with Fanconi's anaemia. EBMT-2006. March 19-22.
- Araki, H., Mahmud, N., Milhem, M., Nunez, R., Xu, M., Hoffman, R. Expansion of human cord blood SCID-repopulating cells using chromatin modifying agents. Exp Hematol. 2006 Feb; 34(2):140-9.
- Mohammed Milhem, Nadim Mahmud, Donald Lavelle, Hiroto Araki, Joseph DeSimone, Yogen Saunthararajah, and Ronald Hoffman. Modification of hematopoietic stem cell fate by 5aza 2'deoxycytidine and trichostatin A. Blood, June 2004; 103:4102 - 4110.