Department of Internal Medicine
Hematology, Oncology and Blood & Marrow Transplantation Faculty
Donald E. Macfarlane, M.D., Ph.D.
Dr. Macfarlane is the co-director of the Great Plains Regional Hemophilia Center, and the director of the adult hemophilia service at the University of Iowa. His research interests are in the biomedical mechanisms (particularly protein phosphorylation and methylation) by which blood platelets and other blood cells respond to pharmacological agonists or hormones. He has developed a cationic detergent gel system that is capable of resolving the nuclear phosphoproteins extracted from intact cells, which increase their phosphorylation when the cells are exposed to differentiating agents. This system is being used to purify these proteins from leukemia cells and the analogous proteins from blood platelets to study their function.
Honors, Awards, and Organizations
- American Heart Association
- British Microcirculation Society
- Central Society for Clinical Research
- Editor, Thrombosis Research
- International Society of Hemostasis and Thrombosis
- New York Academy of Sciences
- Royal College of Physicians of England, Licentiate
- Royal College of Surgeons of England, Member
- Strekowski, L., Zegrocka, O., Henary, M., Say, M., Mokrosz, M. J., Kotecka, B.M., Manzel, L., and Macfarlane, D.E.: Structure-activity Relationship Analysis of Substituted 4-quinolinamines, Antagonists of Immunostimulatory CpG-oligodeoxynucleotides. Bioorg Med Chem Lett, 9(13):1819-1824, 1999.
- Macfarlane, D.E., and Manzel, L.: Immunostimulatory CpG-oligodeoxynucleotides Induce a Factor that Inhibits Macrophage Adhesion. J Lab Clin Med, 134(5):501-509, 1999.
- Manzel, L., Macfarlane, D.E.: CpG-oligodeoxynucleotide Resistant Variant of WEHI 231 cells. J Leukoc Biol, 66(5):817-821, 1999.
- Manzel, L and D.E. Macfarlane, CpG-oligodeoxynucleotide Supports Growth of IL-6-dependent 7TD1 Murine Hybridoma Cells. Life Science., 62 (1):23-27, 1998.
- Manzel, L., Macfarlane, D.E.: Lack of Immune Stimulation by Immobilized CpG-oligodeoxynucleotide. Antisen Nuc Acid Drug Dev., 9(5):459-464, 1999.
- Manzel, L., Strekowski, L., Ismail, F.M., Wilson, W.D., Smith, J.C., Macfarlane, D.E.: Antagonism of Immunostimulatry CpG-oligodeoxynucleotides by 4-aminoquinolines and Other Weak Bases." Mechanistic studies. J Pharmacol Exp Ther, 291(3):1337-1347, 1999.