Department of Internal Medicine
Hematology, Oncology and Blood & Marrow Transplantation Faculty
Alexandra Thomas, M.D.
Dr. Thomas is interested in Breast Oncology and the care of women at high risk for breast cancer.
Honors, Awards, and Organizations
- Selected for Best Doctors in America, 2009 – present
- NRG Oncology, University of Iowa Principal Investigator
- ASCO Foundation Merit Award, 2008
- American Society of Clinical Oncology, Member
- American College of Physicians, Fellow
- Iowa Medical Society
- Clerkship Directors of Internal Medicine 2003-2006
- Spanheimer, P.M., Carr, J.C., Thomas, A., Sugg, S.L., Scott-Conner, C.E., Liao, J., Weigel, R.J. The response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy predicts clinical outcome and increases breast conservation in advanced breast cancer. Am J Surg 2013 Jan 30. [Epub ahead of print].
- Thomas, A., Gingrich, R.D., Smith, B., Jacobus, L., Ristow K., Allmer, C., Maurer, T., Habermann T., Link B. 18-Fluoro-deoxyglucose Positron Emission Tomography Report Interpretation as Predictor of Outcome in Diffuse Large B Cell Lymphoma including Analysis of ‘Indeterminate’ Reports. Leuk Lymphoma 2010 Apr; 51 (4):569-70.
- Petersen, K., Rosenbaum M., Kreiter CD., Thomas A., Vogelgesang SA., Lawry GV., A Randomized Controlled Study Comparing Educational Outcomes of Examination Room versus Conference Room Staffing, Teaching and Learning in Medicine 2008 Jul-Sep 20(3):218-24.
- Wan SW, Brooks, JM, Chrischilles EA, Thomas A, Polgreen LA, Doucette WR, Sorofman BA. Effect of Access to Cancer Care on Age-specific Utilization of Chemotherapy among Elderly Women with Metastatic Breast Cancer. Presented at the 15th annual meeting of the International Society of Pharmaceconomics and Outcomes Research, Atlanta, Georgia, May 17, 2010.
- Snetselaar, L., Malville-Shipan, K., Ahrens, L., Smith, K., Chenard, C., Stumbo, P., Gordon, J., Thomas, A. Raising medical students’ awareness of nutrition and fitness in disease prevention: nutrition and fitness program at the University of Iowa. Med Educ Online, 9:18, 2004.
- Thomas, Alexandra, Skin Cancers, in First Exposure to Internal Medicine: Ambulatory Medicine, Hoellein, A.R. and Griffith, C.H., eds.; Chapter 43, McGraw Hill, 2007.
- Thomas, Alexandra, Menopause, in First Exposure to Internal Medicine: Ambulatory Medicine, Hoellein, A.R. and Griffith, C.H., eds.; Chapter 57, McGraw Hill, 2007.