Department of Internal Medicine
General Internal Medicine Faculty
Peter J. Kaboli, M.D., M.S.
Dr. Kaboli is a hospitalist at the Iowa City VA Medical Center and VA funded health services researcher. His areas of expertise include:
- Rural Health
- Organization of Inpatient Medical Care and use of Hospitalists
- Drug Safety
- Medication Reconciliation
- Venous Thromboembolism
Honors, Awards, and Organizations
- Research Fellowship, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, 1988
- Research Fellowship, University of Nuremburg-Erlangen, Germany, 1991
- Barry Freeman Fellowship for International Medicine (Guatemala), 1994
- ACP-ASIM Annual Session, San Francisco, Clinical Vignette Finalist, 1996
- LDS Hospital Resident of the Year, 1997
- ACP-ASIM Utah Chapter C. DuWayne Schmidt, M.D. Chapter Service Award, 1997
- College of Medicine Research Day-Outstanding Clinical Research Award, 2000
- Best Workshop (Junior Faculty) "Current Controversies in DVT Prophylaxis: Orthopedic Hip and Knee Surgery," National SGIM Meeting, Boston, MA, 2000
- Highest Scientific Merit, Post-Doctoral Poster Competition, VA Health Services, Research & Development Service Annual Meeting, Washington, D.C., 2001
- SGIM Milton W. Hamolsky Junior Faculty Award for Most Outstanding Scientific Presentation, National
- Kaboli PJ, Barnett MJ, Fuehrer SM, Rosenthal GE. Length of stay as a source of bias in comparing performance in VA and private sector facilities: lessons learned from a regional evaluation of intensive care outcomes. Med Care. 2001;39(9):1014-1024.PMID: 11502958
- Barnett MJ, Kaboli PJ, Sirio CA, Rosenthal GE. Day of the week of intensive care admission and patient outcomes: a multisite regional evaluation. Med Care. 2002;40(6):530-539.PMID: 12021679
- Kaboli P, Henderson MC, White RH. DVT prophylaxis and anticoagulation in the surgical patient. Med Clin North Am. Jan 2003;87(1):77-110, viii. PMID: 12575885
- Rosenthal GE, Kaboli PJ, Barnett MJ. Differences in length of stay in Veterans Health Administration and other United States hospitals: is the gap closing? Med Care. Aug 2003;41(8):882-894. PMID: 12886169.
- Kaboli PJ, Barnett MJ, Rosenthal GE. Associations with reduced length of stay and costs on an academic hospitalist service. Am J Manag Care. Aug 2004;10(8):561-568.PMID: 15352532
- Kaboli PJ, McClimon BJ, Hoth AB, Barnett MJ. Assessing the accuracy of computerized medication histories. Am J Manag Care. Nov 2004;10(11 Pt 2):872-877.PMID: 15609741
- Barnett MJ, Perry PJ, Alexander B, Kaboli PJ. Risk of mortality associated with antipsychotic and other neuropsychiatric drugs in pneumonia patients. J Clin Psychopharmacol. Apr 2006;26(2):182-187.PMID: 16633149
- Kaboli PJ, Hoth AB, McClimon BJ, Schnipper JL. Clinical pharmacists and inpatient medical care: a systematic review. Arch Intern Med. May 8 2006;166(9):955-964.PMID: 16682568
- Steinman MA, Landefeld CS, Rosenthal GE, Berthenthal D, Sen S, Kaboli PJ. Polypharmacy and prescribing quality in older people. J Am Geriatr Soc. Oct 2006;54(10):1516-1523.PMID: 17038068
- Kaboli PJ, Shivapour DM, Henderson MS, Barnett MJ, Ishani A, Carter BL. Patient and provider perceptions of hypertension treatment: do they agree? J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich). Jun 2007;9(6):416-423.PMID: 17541326
- Kaboli PJ, Baldwin AS, Henderson MS, Ishani A, Cvengros JA, Christensen AJ. Measuring Preferred Role Orientations for Patients and Providers in Veterans Administration and University General Medicine Clinics. The Patient: Patient-Centered Outcomes Research. Mar 2009;2(1):33-38.
- Anderson J, Shroff D, Curtis A, Cannon K, Karnani R, Abrams T, Kaboli PJ. The Veterans Affairs Shift Change Physician-to-Physician Handoff Project. JT Comm J Qual Patient Saf. Feb 2010;36(2):62-71. PMID: 20180438
- Glasgow J, Kaboli P. Detecting adverse drug events through data mining. Am J Health Syst Pharm. Feb 2010; 67(4):317-20 PMID: 20133538.
- Go J, Sarrazin M, Auerbach A, Schnipper J, Wetterneck T, Gonzales D, Meltzer P, Kaboli P. Do Hospitalists Affect clinical Outcomes and Efficiency for Patients with Acute Upper Gastrointestinal Hemorrhage (UGIH)? J Hosp Med. Mar 2010; 5(3):133-9. PMID: 20235292
- Kaboli P, Glasgow J, Jaipaul C, Barry WA, Strayer JR, Mutnick B, Rosenthal GE. Identifying Medication Misadventures: Poor Agreement Between Chart, Physician, Nurse and Patient Reports. Phamacotherapy. May 2010; 30(5):529-38. PMID: 20412002
- Lund BC, Carnahan RM, Egge JA, Chrischilles EA, Kaboli PJ. Inappropriate prescribing predicts adverse drug events in older adults. Ann Pharmacother. May 2010;44(6):957-63. PMID: 20460558
- Abrams TE, Sarrazin M, Fan VS, Kaboli PJ. Does Geographical Isolation Impact the Risk of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Related Mortality. Ann Intern Med. July 19, 2011; 155:80-86.
- Kaboli PJ, Shivapour DM, Henderson MS, Ishani A, and Charlton ME. The Impact of Primary Care Dual-Management on Quality of Care. J Prim Care Community Health. In press.
- Reisinger HS, Buzza C, Ono SS, Turvey T, Wittrock S, Noble M, Reddy G, Kaboli PJ. Distance is Relative: Unpacking a Principal Barrier in Rural Healthcare. J Gen Intern Med. In Press
- Fortney, JC, Booth, BM, Bosworth, HB, Burgess, J, Kaboli, P. A Re-conceptualization of Access for 21st Century Healthcare. J Gen Intern Med, In Press.