Department of Internal Medicine
General Internal Medicine Faculty
Peter Cram, M.D., M.B.A.
Carver College of Medicine Distinguished Professor
Director, Division of General Internal Medicine
Dr. Cram's research interests are: 1) physician-owned specialty hospitals; 2) joint arthroplasty outcomes and utilization; 3) patient activation interventions in osteoporosis; 4) the impact of ICU tele-health programs.
- Elected to American Society for Clinical Investigation (2011)
- Robert Wood Johnson Physician Faculty Scholar (2007)
- Shibli-Rahhal A, Vaughan-Sarrazin MS, Richardson K, Cram P. Testing and treatment for osteoporosis following hip fracture in an integrated U.S. healthcare delivery system. Osteoporos Int. 2011 Jan 27. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 21271339.
- Alleman BW, Luger T, Reisinger HS, Martin R, Horowitz MD, Cram P. Medical Tourism Services Available to Residents of the United States. J Gen Intern Med. 2010 Dec 15. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 21161425.
- Young LB, Chan PS, Cram P. Staff Acceptance of Tele-ICU Coverage: A Systematic Review. Chest. 2011 Feb;139(2):279-88. Epub 2010 Nov 4. PubMed PMID: 21051386.
- Girotra S, Lu X, Popescu I, Vaughan-Sarrazin M, Horwitz PA, Cram P. The impact of hospital cardiac specialization on outcomes after coronary artery bypass graft surgery: analysis of medicare claims data. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2010 Nov 1;3(6):607-14. Epub 2010 Oct 5. PubMed PMID: 20923993.
- Lu X, Hagen TP, Vaughan-Sarrazin MS, Cram P. The impact of new hospital orthopaedic surgery programs on total joint arthroplasty utilization. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2010 Jun;92(6):1353-61. PubMed PMID: 20516310; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2874670.
- Cram P, Bayman L, Popescu I, Vaughan-Sarrazin MS, Cai X, Rosenthal GE. Uncompensated care provided by for-profit, not-for-profit, and government owned hospitals. BMC Health Serv Res. 2010 Apr 7;10:90. PubMed PMID: 20374637; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2907758.
- Hagen TP, Vaughan-Sarrazin MS, Cram P. Relation between hospital orthopaedic specialisation and outcomes in patients aged 65 and older: retrospective analysis of US Medicare data. BMJ. 2010 Feb 11;340:c165. doi: 10.1136/bmj.c165. PubMed PMID: 20150193; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2820608.
- Popescu I, Werner RM, Vaughan-Sarrazin MS, Cram P. Characteristics and outcomes of America's lowest-performing hospitals: an analysis of acute myocardial infarction hospital care in the United States. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2009 May;2(3):221-7. Epub 2009 May 5. PubMed PMID: 20031841.
- Cram P, Bayman L, Popescu J, Vaughan-Sarrazin MS. Acute myocardial infarction and coronary artery bypass grafting outcomes in specialty and general hospitals: analysis of state inpatient data. Health Serv Res. 2010 Feb;45(1):62-78. Epub 2009 Dec 4. PubMed PMID: 20002764.
- Gordon JR, Wahls T, Carlos RC, Pipinos II, Rosenthal GE, Cram P. Failure to recognize newly identified aortic dilations in a health care system with an advanced electronic medical record. Ann Intern Med. 2009 Jul 7;151(1):21-7, W5. PubMed PMID: 19581643.
- Vaughan Sarrazin MS, Bayman L, Cram P. Trends during 1993-2004 in the availability and use of revascularization after acute myocardial infarction in markets affected by certificate of need regulations. Med Care Res Rev. 2010 Apr;67(2):213-31. Epub 2009 Oct 12. PubMed PMID: 19822880.