Department of Internal Medicine
General Internal Medicine Faculty
John W. Rachow, M.D., Ph.D.
Director, Geriatrics Program
Director, Iowa Geriatric Education Center
Dr. Rachow's research focuses on functional status outcomes in ambulatory geriatrics, urinary incontinence and urinary tract infection in the frail institutionalized elderly, electronic medical records, and telemedicine.
His current projects include the following:
- Development of an electronic medical record for a medical nursing home practice. Ongoing since 1992.
- Telemedicine project with Samsung. Have set up two-way, real time audio and visual communication via high-speed internet connection between home terminal and the Colonial Manor Nursing Home in Amana, IA. System utilizes a stethoscope, otoscope, dermascope, and ECG machine in the nursing home to permit patient interview and detailed examination. System allows capture of images plus medical record information. Formal research project to study effectiveness is planned for this year.
- Development of web-based module on Sleep Disorders for medical residents and medical practitioners as part of Reynold's Grant Program. (7/02-6/03)
Honors, Awards, and Organizations
- American Aging Association
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American College of Rheumatology
- American Federation for Aging Research
- American Geriatric Society
- American Medical Association
- American Society on Aging
- Gerontologic Society of America
- Iowa Geriatric Education Center
- Executive Committee, Member, 1988-
- Director 1990-
- Johnson County Medical Society
- University of Iowa Center on Aging, Clinical Coordinator, 1990-
- University of Iowa Committee on Aging Member, 1989-
- Saag, K.G., Kolluri, S. Doehnke, R.K., Goergou, T.A., Rachow, J.W., Hunninghake, G.W., Schwartz, D.A.: Rheumatoid arthritis lung disease. Determinants of Radiographic and physiologic abnormalities. Arthritis Rheum., 39 : 1711-9, 1996.
- Burma, M.R., Rachow, J.W., and Saag, K.G.: Methotrexate Patient Education: A Quality Improvement Study. Arthritis Care Res., 9 :216-222, 1996.
- Ryan, L.M., Rachow, J.W., McCarty, B.A., and McCarty, D.J.: Adenosine triphosphate levels in human plasma. J. Rheumatol., 23, 214-213, 1996.
Links of Interest