Department of Internal Medicine
General Internal Medicine Faculty
Gary E. Rosenthal, M.D.
Professor of Internal Medicine and Health Management and Policy
Director, Institute for Clinical and Translational Science, Univ. of Iowa
Dr. Rosenthal's clinical interests include inpatient and consultative general internal medicine. His research interests include the assessment of health care quality and provider performance, organizational determinants of patient outcomes, patient safety, and the role of the Department of Veterans Affairs in the US health care delivery system.Honors, Awards, and Organizations
- Society for General Internal Medicine
- Association of Chiefs of General Internal Medicine
- Association of Subspecialty Professors
- Academy for Health Services Research
- American Geriatrics Society
- Picker / Commonwealth Scholar 1993-95
- VA HSR&D Research Associate 1995-98
- President, Midwest Society of General Internal Medicine, 1997-98
- Council, Society of General Internal Medicine, 2001-2004
- President-Elect, Association of Chiefs of General Internal Medicine, 2004-
- Chair, Field Based Scientific Advisory Board for Quality Measurement Research, VA HSR&D Service, 2004-
- Executive Committee, Association of Chiefs of General Internal Medicine Council, 2001-
- Chair, Program Committee, Society of General Internal Medicine 23 rd Annual Meeting, 1999-00
- Kaboli, PJ, Barnett MJ, Rosenthal GE. Associations with reduced length of stay and costs on an academic hospitalist service. Am J Manag Care 2004; 10:561-8
- Vaughan Sarrazin MS, Rosenthal GE. Hospital volume and outcome after coronary angioplasty: is there a role for certificate of need regulation? Am Heart J 2004; 147:383-5.
- Cram P, Hillis S, Barnett M, Rosenthal GE. Effects of weekend admission and hospital teaching status on in-hospital mortality. Am J Med 2004; 117:151-7.
- Vaughan Sarrazin MS, Hannan EL, Gormley CJ, Rosenthal GE. Mortality in Medicare beneficiaries following coronary artery bypass graft surgery in states with and without certificate of need regulation. JAMA 2002; 288:1859-66.
- Kaboli PJ, Rosenthal GE. Delays in transfer to the ICU: a preventable adverse event? J Gen Intern Med 2003; 18:155-6.
- Rosenthal GE, Vaughan Sarrazin M, Hannan EL. Mortality following coronary artery bypass graft surgery in Veterans Health Administration and private sector hospitals. Med Care 2003; 41:522-35.
- Jaipaul CK, Rosenthal GE. Do hospitals with lower mortality have higher patient satisfaction? A regional analysis of patients with medical diagnoses. Am J Med Qual 2003; 18 (2), 59-65
- Barry WA, Rosenthal GE. Is there a July phenomenon: The effect of July admission on intensive care mortality and length of stay in teaching hospitals. J Gen Intern Med 2003; 18:639-45.
- Rosenthal GE, Kaboli PJ, Barnett MJ. Differences in length of stay in Veterans Health Administration and other United Sates hospitals: Is the gap closing? Med Care 2003; 41:882-94.
- Hannan EL, Vaughan Sarrazin MS, Doran DR, Rosenthal GE. Provider profiling and quality improvement efforts in CABG surgery: the effect on short-term mortality among Medicare beneficiaries. Med Care 2003; 41:1164-72.
Links of Interest
- College of Public Health
- VA unveils new research center (courtesy of the Iowa City Press-Citizen)