Department of Internal Medicine
General Internal Medicine Faculty
David A. Katz, M.D., M.Sc.
Dr. Katz is an Associate Professor of Internal Medicine and Epidemiology, University of Iowa College of Medicine and College of Public Health and Research Investigator in the Center for Research in the Implementation of Innovative Strategies in Practice, Veterans Affairs Health Services Research & Development (HSR&D) Center of Excellence, Iowa City VA Health Care System. His research interests focus on the following areas: 1) evaluating guideline-based strategies for improving the delivery of preventive health services, 2) measuring quality of life and related outcomes, and 3) determinants of clinicians’ decision making and practice behavior. Dr. Katz's clinical interests include preventive services and medical consultation.
Honors and Awards
- Robert Wood Johnson Generalist Physician Faculty Scholars Program, 1998-2003
- NCI Preventive Oncology Academic Award, 1998-2004
- American College of Physicians, 1991-
- Society of General Internal Medicine, 1993-
- Society of Medical Decision Making, 1994-
- American Heart Association, 2009-
- Katz D, Tang F, Faseru B, Horwitz P, Jones P, Spertus J. Prevalence and correlates of smoking cessation pharmacotherapy in hospitalized smokers with acute myocardial infarction. Am Heart J (in press).
- Carrier E, Mellow M, Reschovsky J, Mayrell RC, Katz D. Physicians’ fears of malpractice lawsuits are not assuaged by tort reforms. Health Aff 2010; 29(9): 1585-92.
- Chi C-L, Street NW, Katz DA. A decision support system for cost-effective diagnosis. Artif Intell Med 2010; 50:149-61.
- Katz DA, Vander Weg M, Fu S, Prochazka A, Grant KM, Buchanan L, et al. A before-after implementation trial of smoking cessation guidelines in hospitalized veterans (NCT00816036): Study protocol. Implement Sci 2009, 4:58. PMCID: PMC2753631
- Katz DA, Graber M, Birrer EK, Lounsbury P, Baldwin A, Hillis SL, Christensen AC. Health beliefs toward cardiovascular risk reduction in patients admitted to chest pain observation units. Acad Emerg Med 2009; 16:379–387. PMID: 19302365
- Katz DA, Aufderheide T, Bogner M, Rahko PR, Selker HP. Do Emergency Department patients with possible acute coronary syndrome have better outcomes when admitted to cardiology? Ann Emerg Med 2008; 51:561-570. PMID: 17764781
- Katz DA, Dawson J, Beshansky JR, Rahko PS, Aufderheide TP, Bogner M, Tighouart H, Selker HP. Does concordance with guideline triage recommendations impact clinical care of patients with possible acute coronary syndrome? Med Decis Making 2007; 27(4): 423-437. PMID: 17641142
- Katz DA, Jarrard DF, McHorney CA, Hillis SL, Wiebe DA, Fryback SG. Health perceptions in patients who undergo screening and workup for prostate cancer. Urology 2007; 69: 215-220. PMCID: PMC1868466
- Cram P, Katz D, Vijan S, Kent DM, Langa KM, Fendrick AM. Cost-effectiveness of in-home automated external defibrillators for individuals at increased risk of sudden cardiac death. Value in Health 2006; 9(5):292-302. PMID: 16961547
- Katz DA, Aufderheide TP, Bogner M, Rahko PR, Brown RL, Brown L, Prekker ME, Selker HP. The impact of unstable angina guidelines in the triage of emergency department patients with possible acute coronary syndrome. Med Decis Making 2006; 26:606-616. PMID: 17099199
- Katz DA, Williams G, Brown RL, Aufderheide T, Bogner M, Rahko PR, Selker HP. Emergency physicians' fear of malpractice in evaluating patients with possible acute cardiac ischemia. Ann Emerg Med 2005; 46(6): 525-33. PMID: 16308068
- Katz D, Muehlenbruch D, Brown R, Fiore M, Baker T. Effectiveness of implementing the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality Smoking Cessation Clinical Practice Guideline: A randomized controlled trial. J Nat Cancer Inst 2004; 96(8): 594-603. PMID: 15100337
- Katz D, Muehlenbruch D, Brown R, Fiore M, Baker T. Implementing guidelines for smoking cessation: Comparing the efforts of nurses and medical assistants. Am J Prev Med 2004; 27(5): 411-6. PMID: 15556742
- Katz DA, McHorney CA. The relationship between insomnia and health-related quality of life (HRQOL)) in patients with chronic illness. J Fam Pract 2002; 51:229-35. PMID: 11978233
- Katz D, Muehlenbruch D, Brown R, Fiore M, Baker T. Effectiveness of a clinic-based strategy for implementing the AHRQ Smoking Cessation Guideline in primary care. Prev Med, 2002; 35:293-302. PMID: 12202073
- Katz DA, McHorney CA, Atkinson RL. The impact of obesity on health‑related quality (HRQOL) in patients with chronic illness. J Gen Intern Med 2000; 15:789-86. PMCID: PMC1495614
- Katz DA. Barriers between guidelines and improved patient care: An analysis of AHCPR's Unstable Angina Clinical Practice Guideline. Health Serv Res 1999; 34(1) Part II:377-89. PMCID: PMC1089008
- Katz DA. Barriers between guidelines and improved patient care: An analysis of AHCPR’s Unstable Angina Clinical Practice Guideline. Health Serv Res 1999; 34(1, Pt 2):377-89. PMID: 10199682
- Katz DA. A primer on measures of treatment effectiveness and diagnostic test performance. Wisc Med J 1999; 98(2):37-43. PMID: 10235061
- Katz DA, Rothstein RI, Dunn J, Schned AS, Antonioli D. The incidence of high grade dysplasia and adenocarcinoma in patients with Barrett's esophagus undergoing periodic endoscopic surveillance. Am J Gastroenterol 1998; 93:536-41. PMID: 9576444
- Katz DA, McHorney CA. Clinical correlates of insomnia in patients with chronic illness. Arch Intern Med 1998; 158(10):1099-1107. PMID: 9605781
- Katz DA, Bates DW, Rittenberg E, Onderdonk A, Sands K, Barefoot L, Snydman D. Predicting clostridium difficile stool cytotoxin results in hospitalized patients with diarrhea. J Gen Intern Med 1997; 12(1):57-62. PMID: 9034947
- Swan JS, Fryback DG, Lawrence WF, Katz DA, Heisey DM, Hagenauer ME, Selzer PM, Jacobson BK. MR and conventional angiography: Work in progress toward assessing utility in radiology. Acad Radiol 1997; 4(7):475-82. PMID: 9232166
- Katz DA, Griffith JL, Beshansky JR, Selker HP. The use of empiric basis in the evaluation of medical practice guidelines for unstable angina. JAMA 1996; 276(19):1568-74. PMID: 8918854
- Katz DA, Lynch ME, Littenberg B. Clinical predictors to optimize stool cytotoxin testomg for Clostridium difficile in hospitalized patients with diarrhea. Am J Med 1996; 100(5):487-95. PMID: 8644759
- Katz DA, Cronenwett JL. The cost-effectiveness of early surgery versus watchful waiting in the management of small abdominal aortic aneurysms. J Vasc Surg 1994; 19(6):980-90. PMID: 8201717
- Katz DA, Welch HG. Discounting in cost-effectiveness analysis. PharmacoEconomics 1993; 3(4):276-85. PMID: 10146991
- Katz DA, Littenberg B, Cronenwett JL. Management of small abdominal aortic aneurysms: early repair vs watchful waiting. JAMA 1992; 268(19):2678-86. PMID: 1433687