Department of Internal Medicine
Robert W. Summers, M.D.
James A. Clifton Professor (Emeritus) and Director of Clinical Programs for the Gastroenterology Division
Dr. Summers is well known for his work on small bowel motor activity. He has studied the effects of irradiation on the smooth muscle of both the small and large intestine. His ongoing clinical studies include the examination of therapeutic agents in motility disorders and inflammatory bowel disease; aspirin and folic acid in the prevention of colonic polyps; and the effects of exercise on intestinal function.
Dr. Summers is particularly interested in gastrointestinal motility disorders; mechanisms of injury in radiation enteritis; colon cancer; and inflammatory bowel diseases.
Honors, Awards, and Organizations
- American Association for the Study of Liver Disease
- Diplomate, American Board of Internal Medicine, and Board of Gastroenterology
- American Board of Internal Medicine: Member, Gastroenterology Board of Examiners, 1979-85
- American College of Physicians: Fellow
- American Gastroenterology Association,
- American Motility Society, President 1998-2000
- American Physiological Society
- American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- Burroughs-Wellcome Research Travel Grant Recipient, 1979
- Central Society for Clinical Research
- Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America
- Gastroenterology Research Group
- Iowa Foundation for Medical Care
- Janssen Research Council
- Midwest Gut Club
- USPHS Fogarty Fellowship in Gastrointestinal Physiology, 1980-
- Summers, RW, Elliott, DE, Urban, JF, Thompson, RA, Weinstock, JV, Trichuris Suis Therapy of Active Ulcerative Colitis: a Randomized Controlled Trial, Gastroenterology, 128, , Apr 2006
- Summers R W, Elliott D E, Weinstock J V (Feb 2005) Is There a Role for Helminths in the Therapy of Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Nature Clinical Practice, 2, 62-63.
- Summers, RW, Elliott, DE, Urban, JF Jr, Thompson, R, Weinstock, JV, Trichuris suis therapy in Crohn's disease, Gut, 54, , Jan 2005
- Baron JA, Beach M, Mandel JS, van Stolk RU, Haile RW, Sandler RS, Rothstein R, Summers RW, Snover DC, Beck GJ, Frankl H, Pearson L, Bond JH, Greenberg ER, Calcium supplements and colorectal adenomas. Polyp Prevention Study Group, Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 889, 138-45, 1999
- Baron JA, Cole BF, Sandler RS, Haile RW, Ahnen D, Bresalier R, McKeown-Eyssen G, Summers RW, Rothstein R, Burke CA, Snover DC, Church TR, Allen JI, Beach M, Beck GJ, Bond JH, Byers T, Greenberg ER, Mandel JS, Marcon N, Mott LA, Pearson L, Saibil F, van St, A randomized trial of aspirin to prevent colorectal adenomas, The New England Journal of Medicine, 348(10):891-9, Mar 2003
Links of Interest
- Video: Cancer Screening (courtesy KCRG TV)