Department of Internal Medicine
Michael D. Voigt, M.D.
Dr. Voigt focuses on liver failure, with a special interest in liver transplantation. His research interests include complications of cirrhosis, and how these influence natural history of disease and how to improve public policy, especially transplant organ allocation. He is Medical Director of Liver Failure and Transplantation.
- International Association for the Study of Liver Disease
- International Ascites Club
- American Society of Transplant Physicians
- American Association for the Study of Liver Disease (ASLD)
- European association for the study of liver diseases (EASL)
- International Associatioan for the study of lvier disease (IASL)
- AASLD liver failure special interest group
- Midwest Gut Club
- UNOS Region 8 counselor 2009-2011
- UNOS board of Directors 2009-2011
- Region 8 Representative on UNOS Members and Professional Standards Committee 2007 -2009
- Reviewer: Multiple journals
Honors and Awards
- Medical Research Council Career Development Award
- America’s Top Gastroenterologists – Gastroenterology and Hepatology, 2008
- Patients’ Choice Award, 2008-09
- America’s Top Physicians, 2009-10
- Best Doctors in America, 2009-12
- Local Awards
- Dept Nursing and Patient Care Services: Research and Quality Management Recognition, 1998
- American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases: Surgery and Liver Transplant Committee, 1998-2000
- Iowa Dept of Public Health: Recognition and Appointment to Statewide Viral Hepatitis Task Force, 2004
- Above and Beyond Award, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005
Links of Interest
- Viral Hepatitis Information (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Chalasani N, Manzarbeitia C, Ferenci P, Vogel W, Fontana RJ, Voigt M, Riely C, Martin P, Teperman L, Jiao J, Lopez-Talavera JC. Peginterferon alfa-2a for hepatitis C after liver transplantation: Two randomized, controlled trials. Hepatology. 2005 Feb;41(2):289-298.
- Voigt, MD. Alcohol in hepatocellular cancer. Clin Liver Dis. 2005 Feb;9(1):151-169. PMID:15763234.
- Rayhill SC, Barbeito R, Katz D, Voigt M, Labrecque D, Kirby P, Miller R, Stolpen A, Wu Y, Schmidt W. A cyclosporine-based immunosuppressive regimen may be better than tacrolimus for long-term liver allograft survival in recipients transplanted for hepatitis C. Transplant Proc. 2006 Dec;38(10):3625-3628.
- Kayali Z, Tan S, Shinkunas L, Voigt M, LaBrecque DR, Stapleton JT, Brown KE, Schmidt WN. Risk factors for hepatitis C fibrosis: a prospective study of United States veterans compared with nonveterans. J Viral Hepat. 2007 Jan;14(1):11-21.
- Nelson H, Katz D, Dunn T, Singh G, Voigt M, Witaker E, Thomsen D. Rhabdomyolysis and necrotic bowel after acetaminophen and ibuprofen overdose. Pharmacotherapy. 2007 April;27(4):608-612.
- Rayhill SC, Wu YM, Katz DA, Voigt MD, LaBrecque DR, Kirby PA, Mitros FA, Kali RS, Miller RA, Stolpen AH, Schmidt WN. Older donor livers show early severe histological activity, fibrosis, and graft failure after liver transplantation for hepatitis C. Transplantation. 2007 Aug 15;84(3):331-339 PMID:17700157.
- Sulieman BM, Hunsicker LG, Katz DA, Voigt MD. OPTN Policy regarding prioritization of patients with hepatopulmonary syndrome: does it provide equitable organ allocation? American Journal of Transplantation. 2008 May;8(5):954-964 PMID: 18416736.
- Siddiqui J, Rouleau J, Lee AG, Sato Y, Voigt MD. Bilateral optic neuritis in acute hepatitis C. J Neuro-ophthalmol. 2009 Jun;29(2):128-133. PMID: 19491636.