Department of Internal Medicine
Douglas R. LaBrecque, M.D.
Director, Liver Service
Dr. LaBrecque studies the mechanisms of hepatic regeneration. He has made great strides in the identification of an organ-specific and species-nonspecific endogenous stimulant of hepatic growth. He also pursues studies related to various aspects of clinical hepatology and has a number of clinical protocols concerning new therapies and tests for chronic hepatitis B and C, immunology of alcoholic liver disease, treatment and characterization of a new form of autoimmune hepatitis, and predictors of alcoholism relapse. Dr. LaBrecque is Director of the Liver Service and has played a key role in the development of the new program in hepatic transplantation. He is particularly interested in control of liver cell growth: in particular, the role of growth factors and their mechanism(s) of action, and clinical liver disease: especially the evaluation and therapy of chronic hepatitis, inherited and pediatric liver diseases, and nosocomial transmission of hepatitis.
Honors, Awards, and Organizations
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- Diplomate, American Board of Internal Medicine
- American Association for the Study of Liver Disease
- Finance Committee, 2003
- Nominating Committee, 2003
- American College of Physicians, Fellow
- American Gastroenterological Association
- American Physiological Society
- Central Society for Clinical Research
- International Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
- Midwest Gut Club
- Tissue Culture Association, Inc.
- VA Research Associate, 1979-81
VA Clinical Investigator, 1982-85
- World Congresses of Gastroenterology, Treasurer, 1992-95
- World Organization of Gastroenterology (OMGE: Organization Mondiale de Gastro-Enterologie), Deputy Treasurer, 2003
- Ahluwalia, J.P., LaBrecque, D.R. A Large Biloma Causing Gastric Outlet Obstruction after a Percutaneous Liver Biopsy: Case Report and Review. Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, In Press.
- Xiang, Jinhua, Wunschmann, Sabina, George, Sarah L., Klinzman, Donna, Schmidt, Warren N., LaBrecque, Douglas R., Stapleton, Jack T. Recombinant Hepatitis C Virus-Like Particles Expressed by Baculovirus: Utility in Cell-Binding and Antibody Detection Assays. J. Med. Virology, 68(4):537-543, Dec 2002.
- Gaglio, PJ, Liu, H, Dash, S, Cheng, S, Bruce, D, Raterree, M, Baskin, G, Blanchard, J, Theise, N, LaBrecque, D Liver Regeneration Investigated in a Non-Human Primate Model (Macaca mulatta). J. Hepatology, 37(5):625-632, Nov 2002.