Department of Internal Medicine
Adrian N. Holm, D.O.
Dr. Holm's clinical interests include endoscopic ultrasound, radiofrequency ablation of Barrett's esophagus, esophageal and gastric variceal treatment, luminal stent placement, mucosal resection, and endoscopic resection of advanced lesions in the GI tract. He is the director of the multidisciplinary Colorectal Cancer Tumor Board, with the purpose of identifying and caring for patients and their families with a diagnosis of colorectal cancer or a genetic predisposition to these problems. Other research interests include creation of a video and data library for characterization of endoscopic findings in patients with gastrointestinal problems, and for training purposes aimed at improvement in endoscopic identification and treatment for trainees and staff gastroenterologists. He works closely with training of GI fellows at the University of Iowa through his position as assistant fellowship program director. He has been involved in other projects including investigation the utility of endoscopic ultrasound aspiration of subepithelial lesions, the role of IL-33 in eosinophilc esophagitis, and the mechanism of helminthic modulation of acute graft vs host disease (GVHD) and inflammatory bowel disease (IBD).
Honors, Awards, and Organizations
- American Osteopathic Association
- American Gastroenterology Association
- American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- Holm AN, Baron TH. Palliative Use Of Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy And Percutaneous Endoscopic Cecostomy Tubes. Gastrointest Endosc Clin N Am. 2007;17(4):795-803.
Holm AN, Gerke H. What Should Be Done With A Dilated Bile Duct? Current Gastroenterology Reports. 2010;12(2):150-156
- Holm AN, de la Mora Levy JG, Gostout CJ, Topazian MD, Baron TH. Self- Expanding Plastic Stents In Treatment Of Benign Esophageal Conditions. Gastrointest Endosc. 2008;67(1):20-5.
- Strege PR, Mazzone A, Kraichely RE, Sha L, Holm AN, Ou Y, Lim I, Gibbons SJ, Sarr MG, Farrugia G. Species Dependent Expression Of Intestinal Smooth Muscle Mechanosensitive Sodium Channels. Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2007;19(2):135-43.
- Holm AN, Nelson WK. Images in clinical medicine: Minocycline-Induced Hyperpigmentation. New England Journal of Medicine. 2006 Nov16;355(20):e23.
- Strege PR, Holm AN, Rich A, Miller SM, Ou Y, Sarr MG, Farrugia G. Cytoskeletal modulation of sodium current in human jejunal circular smooth muscle cells . Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2003;284(1)C60-66.
- Holm AN, Rich A, Miller SM, Strege P, Ou Y, Gibbons S, Sarr MG, Szurszewski JH, Rae JL, Farrugia G. Sodium current in human jejunal circular smooth muscle cells. Gastroenterology. 2002;122(1):178-187.